Lightnings Tic-Tac's

I have redone the blog. It is now less offensive to the senses. Enjoy, I may actually post on a regular basis this time.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Ethics

So I've been reading "The Scarlet Letter" for my American Literature class. I read this a few years ago, in high school (Junior year I believe), and I hadn't noticed then that it's not a bad novel. While I doubt it will ever become one of my favorites, it does seem to possess some endearing qualities. But aside from that, because of the vast amounts of time I have to read and contemplate the text at work, I have begun to think on the topic of ethics. Yes, you heard it here, Me and ethics in the same post.

While some of you may believe me an unethical bastard, following whatever whim suits my tastes at the time, that is wholly untrue. Now I will not go into my own personal ethics here, but I decided that that statement was necessary. But, some of the questions the book has raised on ethics, and some answers that I believe.

Let's get this started with a big'un. Is there a universal set of ethics that govern the way people would and should not act set forth by some higher force or being?
My answer: I think not. The first flag coming from the fact that I do not believe in a higher force or being that would necessitate a strict moral code. While I do ascribe very much to the Tao I don't view any sort of ethical code. There is a model for behavior that will help you achieve a spiritual connection with the next world and your ancestor spirits, but I don't see any ethical code set forth by this belief. I also believe in certain actions having the best results, but those are not rigidly set, not are they always falling into the category commonly called "right". I do believe that in certain circumstances killing is acceptable, though I very much hope I will never be thrust into one of those circumstances and forced to make that choice. Some possible circumstances that I devise in my head, the choice to kill is not the one considered ethical. I will not explicitly comment on these, but for situations that may be close, see the movie "Saw". But also be warned, it's extremely violent, and pretty gross. Don't watch it while eating food.

Since I need to get back to reading, I'm going to end this post now. But feel free to comment on ethics, I do love hearing what other people think.

Quack Quack ~Emu Sound~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home